Monday, April 20, 2009

Austin 1/2 Marathon


I did it! I completed my first 1/2 marathon! I have to say, I wanted to die by about mile 11, but I pushed on through, and finished with a time of 2:05:12. My best friend Alyssa and I ran it together, and she achieved her personal record (5 months pregnant, no less!). I was shooting for a time of 2:10:00, and beat that by almost 5 minutes, so I was very happy with my time too!





The trip to Austin was SO much fun! I can't wait to go back again! I took Kallie with me and we just had a "girls trip." She loved flying on the airplane, opening presents that Grandma Hammons had packed for her. She didn't want to wait in between presents; she just wanted to open them all, then play with them after she had seen everything. Kallie had a fun time playing with Carson, Carli, and Amy. She said she wants to live in Texas.

I had a great time just spending time with Alyssa. It seems like we are lucky to spend a couple of hours together when she comes to Las Vegas. There are just so many people in line to see her. Getting to spend 4 whole days was great fun. We got a swim workout in on Friday, and she taught me how to flip-turn (yea!). Then we ran our race on Saturday. We had to get up at 4:00am in order to get out to the race parking, then catch a shuttle to the site. The race started at 7:30am. Afterwards, there was food, music, and some much-needed relaxing. Alyssa's friend Stephanie ran with us as well, and I think she is the one who kept us moving by the end! She usually finishes a 1/2 marathon in the 1:40s, so she was definitely just taking her time with us!

Chet and Alyssa toured me around Austin, eating at all the hot spots including an Italian Bistro, a Mexican place called Chuy's, the steakhouse Alyssa was working at called Saltgrass, and my personal favorite: Yogurt Planet. We also watched good shows including General Conference, and just had a generally wonderful time!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow Jamie, I'm impressed. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Good for you for getting away from the kiddos for a weekend and doing something for you!

Annie said...

Good job Jamie!! I am so proud of you and the time is great. I didn't know Lys was prego again but that is amazing that she is still running. Heavens knows I would just have some ice cream and watch others run. Kallie is adorable can't wait to see her hopefully soon.

familiesarepriceless said...

Wow that's amazing!! Good job your my idle.

Liz Prisbrey said...

Congratulations on your time!! It's great! Good luck on you triathalon! You are definitely a dedicated woman!

kristine said...

Jamie! I didn't know you had a blog!! I am so glad you do! An d kudos to your race!! Well done! It is fun to see what you have been up to!!

Jessi McCall said...

Love the pictures. Great job on your race, that's a great time. I had fun getting to know you on our little run at Coral Pink! Sorry I was so wimpy that day. ;( next time I'll be better...promise. lol

Molly said...

You rock! And holy cow, Alyssa is crazy! I didn't know she was preggo...that's cool!

Aileen Bluhm said...

Hi Jamie! I'm finally checking out your blog--so fun! Great job on your first 1/2 marathon! That's an awesome time! I've just started back into racing again too (since having my kids). Feel free to check out our blog if you want....brandonandaileen.blogspot.com